Central America — it is a seething cauldron in which the flames of revolutions and armed conflicts never subside, and the Republic of El Salvador — one of the most restless places in the world, along with neighboring countries — Honduras and Guatemala. Particularly courageous tourists sometimes get here, thirsting for the natural beauties of these lands, but do not forget that Salvador — really dangerous place.
Interesting facts about El Salvador
- The word «elvador» translated from Portuguese as «savior».
- Among all Central American countries, El Salvador — the most densely populated.
- The windows of all the houses in here are taken away with strong bars and equipped with shutters up to the 3rd floor. What to do — they often shoot in the streets.
- Once Honduras declared war on El Salvador because of the loss of their football team. The conflict ended up being short, but quite destructive and bloody.
- On the territory of this country there are many volcanoes, some of which — active (interesting facts about volcanoes).
- In 2001, the authorities of El Salvador abandoned their own currency, replacing it with the US dollar.
- The population of El Salvador has not changed much for quite a long time.
- Only about 80% of Salvadorans are literate.
- Minimum wage in El Salvador — $224, higher than the minimum wage in Russia.
- El Salvador — the first country in the world to impose a ban on the development of mineral deposits.
- The murder rate (more than a hundred people for every hundred thousand) in this country — the highest in the world.
- All Salvadorans speak Spanish, although some also speak some tribal Indian language.
- Salvador’s Izalco volcano erupts on average once every 8 minutes.
- All local food in El Salvador is very spicy, so you should try it with caution.