Micronesia — it is not only a Pacific region with a bunch of islands and islets, it is also a state. More precisely, the state is called the Federated States of Micronesia. This is the land of trails unexplored by mass tourists — Europeans rarely get here because of the inaccessibility of these paradise islands.
Interesting facts about Micronesia
- This country has all the prerequisites for the development of tourism, but one single problem complicates everything: it takes a long time, and therefore it is very expensive to fly from almost anywhere.
- Only about 40 of the 607 islands of Micronesia have dimensions that can be described as «livable». All the rest are too small.
- Micronesia includes both coral atolls and islands of volcanic origin. The latter are covered with dense forests, and in the center there are usually more or less high mountains.
- The total land area of all the islands does not exceed 702 square kilometers.
- The official language of Micronesia is English, but dialects of local peoples are much more common here — Kosrae, Pohnpei, Truk and Yap.
- Micronesia does not actively trade with other countries due to its remoteness from them.
- Micronesia’s budget largely depends on financial support from the United States.
- Throughout the year, the temperature on the Micronesian islands practically does not change.
- On average, this country is hit by about 25 hurricanes every year.
- Once, the Fiji national football team beat the Micronesian team with a record score of 38: 0 (interesting facts about Fiji).
- The official Micronesian currency is the US dollar — you don’t have your own money here.
- Of the more than six hundred islands, only 65 are permanently inhabited.
- One of the unique sights of Micronesia — huge stones with a hole in the center, which were once used here as money.
- Micronesia is administratively divided into four states — it is them that the four stars depicted on the flag of this country symbolize.
- The level of criminal danger in Micronesia tends to zero. It’s no more dangerous here than, say, in Luxembourg or Andorra (interesting facts about Andorra).
- There is a tradition here to take a new name every year. The purpose of this event is simple — confuse evil spirits.
- Dangerous representatives of the fauna are almost non-existent in Micronesia.