The cold Sea of Okhotsk is very important for modern shipping. If you take a map of this region and put on it all the sea routes, then in its place there will be an intersection of a huge number of lines denoting the routes of fishing and merchant ships.
Interesting facts about the Sea of Okhotsk
- It washes the shores of only two countries – Russia and Japan (interesting facts about Japan).
- Only Russian ships have the right to fish in the waters of the Sea of Okhotsk. The only exception is the coastal zone of the Japanese island of Hokkaido.
- Its maximum depth is almost 4 kilometers.
- The area of the Sea of Okhotsk is approximately equal to the area of Mongolia (interesting facts about Mongolia).
- It got its name in honor of the river Okhota, which flows into it.
- The total length of the coastline of this sea is almost 10.5 thousand kilometers.
- In winter, the Sea of Okhotsk partially freezes, and in some parts of it the ice does not melt until August.
- About 70 species of algae live in its waters.
- The island located here Misunderstandings got its name from a funny incident. In 1910, a research expedition working here did not pay attention to it and forgot to put it on the map. Soon, however, the mistake was corrected, and this island was named in its part.
- On hot summer days, the water temperature in the Sea of Okhotsk near the surface sometimes reaches +18 degrees. True, this happens very rarely.
- In the winter of 2010-2011, an incredible rescue operation was carried out here. Then the ice jammed 15 ships in the Sea of Okhotsk, on which more than 700 people remained. A whole fleet of icebreakers took part in their rescue.
- Sometimes there is a glow of water or ice here. Most likely, this is caused by microorganisms living here.
- About 120 rivers flow into the Sea of Okhotsk.